Sunday 7 January 2018

Review: Everything, Everything.

I recently read "Everything, Everything." which is a book that I received as a Christmas present and I enjoyed it so much that I read it in only two days! It was an extremely emotional book and almost brought me to tears (I will admit, my eyes watered more and more the further that I got into the book). I was immensely pleased with the excellent standard to which this book was written and I definitely will be reading this again. I am rather late to the hype train of this book as it was released in the September of 2015. To give a brief about the novel: Madeline is an eighteen year old girl who is housebound due to her illness, Olly is the boy next door. Their love is forbidden, but that doesn't prevent it; a Romeo and Juliet type tale at it's finest. If I hadn't read the (short) Author Biography conveniently placed at the back I wouldn't have ever been able to guess that this was her debut, she [Nicola Yoon] clearly has an amazing talent and is thoroughly experienced, I will be sure to read "The Sun Is Also A Star" her second novel.

SPOILERS DOWN BELOW
I was so glad to find out that this wasn't just another sick teen novel and that, even though the ending is sort of happy, it isn't the ideal ending that everyone would've expected. So the basic run down is that Maddy is "ill" (she supposedly has SCID) and because of her "illness" she hasn't left the house since she was a mere four/five months old. she has been trapped inside her seemingly paradise-ish home which is basically all white. Her bedroom is all white except for a bookshelf adorned with many varieties of different coloured books. I was appreciative of Yoon's choice of character due to her ethnicity (half Japanese half African American) which allows a great deal of diversity into the cast of the film and I was also appreciative of her choice in making her interested in great literature which gave her [Yoon] several opportunities to add Easter eggs into the book, which she took upon herself to do and she did not disappoint! There are many different kinds of Easter eggs hidden in the book including "Spoiler Reviews By Madeline" and "Madeline's Dictionary" beautifully paired alongside dainty and simplistic illustrations by David Yoon which don't take anything away from the grace of the writing but naturally complement it and they can both be enjoyed at the same time. As soon as I finished to book I watched the trailer for the film but I'm not exactly sure how much i am going to like it, obviously I will enjoy it as I loved the story but I guess it isn't quite matching what I had pictured in my head.

I tried not to spoil the ending too much for anyone who did in fact want to read the book,if they haven't already. I will also be doing more book reviews and i am very excited as soon I will be doing a "Book Versus Film" post so stick around!

No comments:

Post a Comment